Presenting the Winners of the first Sarihay Media Awards!Posted on April 24, 2015
Winners of the 1st Sarihay Media Awards.
The Foundation for the Philippine Environment today staged the official awarding ceremony for the winners of the first Sarihay Media Awards. The special event was held at the Luxent Hotel in Quezon City.
The Sarihay Media Awards was launched last February 2014 in recognition of the important role of the media in promoting awareness and better understanding of environmental and sustainable development issues among policymakers, decision makers, and the public. The campaign serves as both acknowledgement and reward to those who deliver outstanding and responsible reportage of environmental news.
The term "Sarihay" comes from the Filipino phrase, "Samu't Saring Buhay", which aptly describes biodiversity.
This endeavor was organized in partnership with the Department of Environment and Natural Resources' Biodiversity Management Bureau (DENR-BMB) and Public Affairs Office (DENR-PAO), Philippine Tropical Forest Conservation Foundation, Inc. (PTFCF), Tanggol Kalikasan Inc. (TK), and Miriam College Environmental Studies Institute (Miriam-ESI).
The winners of the first Sarihay Media Awards are as follows:
PRINT CATEGORY AWARDS
- Best News Story (National): Ensuring Rivers are Clean, by Jonathan L. Mayuga (Business Mirror)
- Best News Story (Regional): Davao Gulf: Rich Spawning Ground, by Stella A. Estremera (Sun Star Davao)
- Best Investigative Report: Stinking Snag, by the Manila Bulletin Research Team (Manila Bulletin)
- Best Feature Story: PH Birds Caught Between Discovery, Extinction, by Monch Mikko E. Misagal (Manila Bulletin)
- Best Commentary or Editorial Article: El Niño Redux, by Ma. Ceres P. Doyo (Philippine Daily Inquirer)
TELEVISION CATEGORY AWARDS
- Best TV News Reportage: Illegal Logging sa Ipo Dam Watershed, by Cesario del Rosario (9TV)
- Best TV Documentary: Yaman ng Bayan: Tubig, by Brandenberg Milla (TV5)
- Best TV Magazine Program/Talk Show: Matanglawin: Disaster Preparedness, by Grace Sucgang (ABS-CBN)
RADIO CATEGORY AWARD
- Best Radio Commentary: Mathematics of Mangrove Conservation, by Dr. Custer C. Deocaris (DZEC Radyo Agila)
ONLINE CATEGORY AWARD
- Best Online Commentary: Rethinking the National Greening Program, by Pia Ranada (Rappler.com)
PHOTOJOURNALISM CATEGORY AWARD
- Best Photo Essay: Wildlife Sanctuary, by Ernie Peñaredondo (Philippine Star)
Special Recognition awards were also given to Mr. Gregg Yan of World Wildlife Fund-Philippines and Mr. Clemente Bautista of Kalikasan People's Network for the Environment for their contributions in bringing forth Philippine conservation issues in mainstream media.
The winners were awarded a trophy created by Ms. Yvette Co, a visual atist based in Los Baños, Laguna. Ms. Co collaborates with local artisans to utilize natural resources to communicate environmental conservation. The one of a kind trophy is a mixed media art entitled, "Nurturing Life Together". It features the hands of a man and a woman carefully clasped together to form a nest for a tiny bird behind a background of a leaf and nestled among scraps of driftwood.
The Sarihay Media Awards trophy. (Photo by Yvette Co)
Winners also received a cash prize and will join FPE in an exposure trip to one of the Foundation's conservation project sites later this year.
Entries were evaluated by a Board of Judges comprising of Dr. Theresa Mundita S. Lim (DENR-BMB), Ms. Maria Sabrina Cruz (DENR-PAO), Dr. Donna Paz T. Reyes (Miriam-ESI), Atty. Jose Andres Canivel (PTFCF), Atty. Ma. Generosa T. Mislang (Tanggol Kalikasan, Inc.), Ms. Yolanda Crisanto (Globe Telecom), Mr. Jose Angelito Palma (World Wildlife Fund for Nature-Philippines), Dr. Severino R. Sarmenta (Ateneo de Manila University), FPE Chair and CEO Atty. Rose Liza E. Osorio and FPE Executive Director Mr. Godofredo T. Villapando, Jr.
The winners were selected among dozens of submitted entries based on their relevance to the field of biodiversity conservation and sustainable development, content and substance, style and creativity of presentation, and the overall reach and perceived impact of the entries to their respective target audiences.
Below are some of the event photos.
FPE Executive Director, Mr. Godofredo T. Villapando, welcoming the SMA finalists.
The event keynote speaker, Fr. Francis Lucas, an FPE Permanent Member and CBCP-Episcopal Commission on Social Communication and Mass Media Executive Secretary.
The FPE Trustees with the 1st Sarihay Media Awards' Board of Judges.
The winners of the 1st Saihay Media Awards with the event host from Miss Earth Foundation, Inc., SMA Board of Judges and FPE Trustees.
The Board of Judges with the FPE trustees and staff.