Building Resilient and Sustainable Small Island Communities
- Proponent: UP Visayas Foundation, Inc.
- Amount: 2000000
- Project Start Date: December 08, 2017
- Project End Date: March 31, 2019
- Grant Type: Constituency - Building Grants
- Area: Visayas
- Grant Status: Current
Project Goals and Objectives
Promote natural resource conservation, community-based tourism, development, and collective, island-wide campaigns for environmental protection and management.
(1) to improve environmental and cultural resources, assets and ecosystem; (2) to develop livelihood and tourism resources for equitable distribution in the community; and, (3) to organize and engage people and communities for collective action towards environmental protection and management.
Outputs and Outcomes
Finalization of the Gigantes Islands Unified Marine Protected Area (UMPA); adoption of the UMPA; identification of specific action points for UMPA management; refinement of action points for the protection of terrestrial resources, particularly Longon-Longon and Bakwitan Caves; training of 47 community-guides with the Department of Tourism; establishment of two (2) school-based nurseries; approval of joint resolution to for the demarcation of watershed areas; and, conduct of Waste Analysis and Characterization (WACS) study and formulation of SWM policy. Literature as well as other relevant materials on Gigantes were also compiled.